The European Lawyers Foundation (ELF) implemented a project in Kazakhstan financed by the International Bar Association (IBA). The ELF, IBA and the Republican Collegium of Advocates of Kazakhstan were the partners in this project, whose main activity was to organise a conference called “Stronger when united: Kazakh lawyers facing new challenges”.
The conference dealt with the following areas:
- The importance of lawyer regulation in international legal services
- International trade in legal services
- An economic view of representation in courts
- Representation by regulated lawyers in court proceedings – the principle of equality of arms
- Continuous legal education
The conference was held in Kazakhstan’s capital, Astana, on 26 and 27 October 2016.
As a follow-up to this conference, guidelines were drafted containing, among other issues, recommendations on advancing the quality of legal services in Kazakhstan.